From: Jp PagÃn <jplpagan@xxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Mar 30, 2012 8:54 pm
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] positions you can use on diatonic

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, The Iceman <icemanle@...> wrote:

> seriously now, folks, one need not orient himself to harmonica using
"position" at all. (I actually had a ball teaching Sunny Girl harmonica without
ever talking positions, so one can skip this aspect completely and still end up
with an amazing result - we were talking notes).

> If anyone insists that you must label your orientation on the harmonica as a
"position", that seems to enter the realm of conceptual intellectual debate
which may be one step removed from playin' da music.

I, for one, wouldn't insist on anyone labeling anything. But it happens to be a
useful concept just like note names are. You don't need them, they areâas you
put itâone step removed from playing the music, but note names are useful. And
similarly, telling people you don't play notes anymore is confusing. It may have
a metaphorical meaning, but in literal terms, it just makes people who are still
learning about music wonder what in the hell is going on. We're not all
professionals yet, but for many, having handy concepts like keys and note names
and yes, positions, help you get there.*

--Jp

*and for record, when I say "positions" I am not talking about playing
pre-defined patterns or styles of music, and I am most definitely NOT talking
about modes. It's just knowing that playing in A on a C harmonica is
mechanically nearly the same as playing in F# on an A harmonica. Nothing more.