RE: [Harp-L] positions you can use on diatonic

I don't think in terms of positions, but in terms of keys.
I do play in all 12 keys. I'm more comfortable in some than in others of
course.
I play in a Jazz trio, where we have about 50 standards in all keys, and I
use a single harp in C. It means a lot of work, but it is very useful to be
able to play the music I have in my head instead of licks I've learnt by
heart.
To improve my playing in all keys, I practice a lot.
For example, here is an exercise I like : taking a master's chorus and
playing it in all 12 keys, like this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQrbQPmViKo

The interesting point is that when you play in a key which is not usually
used by harp players, you can find licks that fits particularly well with
that key and that nobody uses.
You become like a gold prospector, getting the impression to explore and
discover new treasures.

BTW, I'm sure many other harp players can play in all 12 keys, amateurs &
professional. I know some of them. Some in the US, some in other parts of
the world. I would even say that some do it much more precisely than the
great Howard Levy. If you seek for them, you'll find them.

Regards,

Jerome
www.youtube.com/JersiMuse