Re: [Harp-L] Reed Question

The symptoms that you describe are those of an excessive gap which would require a bit of "pressing down".  IF it has an excessive gap, it may also be a little balky to start.

Here is what I would do:

- Take the top cover off.
- If it is a chromatic (you didn't say), look in a mirror under a good light and make certain that the 4-blow valve closes smoothly when you play the 4 draw. If it does not, replace it.
- The gap on the 4-draw should be a bit more than the 5-draw gap and a bit less than the 3-draw gap.   If it is outside these limits, adjust it.
- Watching the behavior of the reed while you are playing it and comparing its behavior to its neighbors can be very instructive.

IF you fail to discover and fix the problem, send it back to Seydel.

Vern