[Harp-L] Re: harmonica microphone cables - impedance matching

How much of a 'sin' is it to plug in a Shure blues blaster mic to a Music
Man tube amp without using an impedance matching transformer (I realize it
wouldn't really be considered a sin as much as it could possibly be
considered  poor practice). :-)

John, there is no such thing as a "Shure blues blaster".  The Blues
Blaster is essentially the same crystal element mic as a JT-30,  it is made by
Astatic and distributed through  Hohner.  This is a high impedance mic and
should be plugged  directly into your guitar/harp amp.  There is no need  to use
an inline matching transformer with a Blues Blaster into your Music  Man
amp, doing so won't damage your gear, but it will  definitely change the
output in an undesirable manner.  For the  purposes of this thread, a matching
transformer is typically  used when using a LOW impedance mic such as a  Shure
SM57 to a guitar type amplifier.

If you are experiencing low output with a Blues  Blaster it likely means
that the crystal element is bad.  If you have  no output at all it could be a
bad element, internal wiring problems, a bad  volume pot, a bad cable, or
the wrong cable... the Blues Blaster comes  from the factory with a
'non-standard' Pin 3 hot XLR connector and will not  work with a standard Pin 2 hot
XLR mic cable.  There are  additional details about this plus a lot of related
info in my  free 'Harp Mic Buyers Guide'... which can be requested any time
by  visiting my Harmonica Planet website.  You can also subscribe there to
the monthly Colorado Blues Jam Post.

Regards,

Christopher Richards
Twin Tone Harmonica Microphones    harmonicaplanet.com
Co Producer - Greeley Blues Jam    greeleybluesjam.com
Stage Manager - 2012 SPAH Convention    spah.org
Author/Publisher - The Colorado Blues Jam Post