Re: [Harp-L] Danny Boy harmony on diatonic

Message: 9
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:09:34 -0400 (EDT)

captron100 wrote:   "Howard Levy has a short U tube vid on this song using a
G harp in 1st position.  Twds the end, he does some beautiful harmony work
and c. 4:45 he plays in C, 12th position.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMrLgDJGZlI&feature=related";

I reply: Thanks, that was great.  Never thought about playing it in the
upper octave.  Even on a G harp that's a little shrill for me, particularly
for just playing harmony only.  Obviously, the adjacent hole melody +
harmony playing works up there too (I guess that's one reason it's a
'harmonica').  He actually does demonstrate briefly the exact line of double
stops I described at about 5:10 starting on the 3 draw. The countra movement
he does on so-la-ti-do where the left side goes lower is great, but I think
I'll stick with the 5+ 5 5 6+ harmony for now, although that 5+ 4 4 4+ or
whatever he does is way cool.  The octaves he throws in are nice. Lots to
think about.  Thanks again.

Fred S