Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Small mp leak

On Mar 16, 2012, at 11:37 PM, Music Cal wrote:

> Thanks to all for your helpful tips on plugging mp leaks. I just received
> the sample of sheet silicone that I ordered. The thickness looks very good
> (0.011 in) but it is not very compressible. So it looks like I will have to
> send another email to AA Acme rubber and see if they can send me a more
> compressible sample.

Uh-Oh...AA Acme are the suppliers to all the equipment that Whiley Coyote uses. Not saying that their stuff is bogus. Maybe Wiley is just using it wrong?  lolol

> I like Smo-joes Elmer's Glue suggestion. How does Elmer's hold up under
> saliva?

You are just putting a tiny amount on the seam. In abt. 4 min. you wipe the seam with a wet cloth. The only glue left is IN the seam. (Don't press too hard).
After 12-13-14 min, it is solid enough to play on. In a few hrs. it is set...AND fairly hidden/protected from saliva.

> Winslow's suggestion of rubber cement is intriguing. I would want to
> investigate the toxicity of the stuff.

Anything, even the liquid electricians tape will 'gas off' in several hours. Rubber cement is safe well before that. Most of the stuff I use is 'liberated' from my wife whom is a quilter, and has many hobbies. Worn razor tips from a 'cuttlebug'  are great for cutting the teflon sheets. Snapped off chips of razor blades will also work in tight corners. Have fun with your projects.
smo-joe

Oh, and btw, if the comb is SO uneven it's still hard to seal against the mouthpiece parts, you may want to hone down the comb face on a dead flat piece of glass coated with fine emory paper. Remember to remove the spring.