Re: [Harp-L] Diatonic Positions, three Majors, three Minors

Robert asked, Why not teach 1,2,12 (majors), then 3,4,5 (minors)

You could. I think a beginning student might not appreciate the importance of 12th. It would depend on what type of material they are trying to play. When I began, I had more need for 3rd position than 12th, due to the tunes I wanted to play.   I found 12th to be easy to understand because I learned 3rd first, but then again, it could be argued that learning 12th first would help somone learn 3rd.

Perhaps we just go in ascending order <grin> 1,2,3,4,5,12. and spend a lot of time explaining why we jump over 6 through 11. :)

=========

Shameless plug -> At HarmoniCollege I will have a "Lazy Man's Intro" to 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 12th position.

Jim Rumbaugh