Re: [Harp-L] What do you charge for recording?

A good starting point is $50/hr, minimum 3 hr commitment. However, the minimum commitment is optional for you if you are just starting out and just doing one song or so.

Before I moved out of Detroit, I was just starting to break into the recording scene for industrial films (stuff for the big Auto companies, businesses, etc). My selling point was that I mostly did what was necessary in 1 or 2 takes at the most, so even though I charged the $150 minimum as above, I was in and out in 20 minutes. No problem at this level, as it saved time for the producer of the session.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Stear <brianstear@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Mar 16, 2012 1:28 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] What do you charge for recording?

Iâve been asked to play on a couple of tunes. Iâve worked/recorded for this
person before. The first time, I did it for free ( 1 song ) as a favor for a
friend, but got some paying gigs out of the deal.
Just curious, do you guys charge by song, or hour? I thought $50 a song and
credit on the CD if itâs not too much work. I spend appox. 1-1/2-3 hours a song,
working up what I think works. I know itâs whatever the market/artist will bear,
but it seems a bit cheap. If I was Winslow, Jason, or Howard I know it would be
different!
On a similar note, how often do you go in to record for someone, theyâve told
you ahead of time what theyâre looking for, and you get there, and itâs not what
they want/looking for ( durn artists! )? I find that happens more often then
not. I always come prepared with at least 2 other variations, or even prepared
to wing it. Do they donât know about the harmonica, or just not familiar enough,
or maybe donât even have to access to that good of players?
   Iâve also noticed that a lot of people I work for nowdays donât really
understand musical dynamics. Iâve been fortunate to work with some good
recording engineers who help these people ( and me ) as far as where to place
the harmonica in the song, and to what extent during the recording process.
Nothing like someone pointing to you from the control booth telling you when to
play/not play........

Brian