Re:[Harp-L] Spiral Chromatic on a Seydel Chromatic Deluxe

I would not consider a Seydel Chromatic Deluxe without full valving. As a consequence,
diatonic-style bends are NOT available. If you half-valve, it might be sufficiently
airtight to be playable, but I have no experience with doing that to a chromatic. The
usual chromatic style bends are available.

AFAIK, John Broecker had the first Seydel Chromatic Deluxe created using the
Spiral (Circular) Tuning. He had hole 1 blow tuned to C4, with the rest of the notes
spiralled around the harmonica as usual. That gives F major as the underlying scale
(button out) and the F#/Gb major scale with the button in.

AFAIK, I had the second one. I had hole 1 blow tuned to G3, with the rest of the notes

spiralled around the harmonica as usual. My reason? I wanted the lower end of the
chromatic to mirror the hole/note layout of a Seydel Blues Session "G" Zirkular Tuning.
That gives the C major scale as the underlying diatonic scale (button out) and the
C#/Db major scale with the button in. The 12 holes gives 4 complete octaves plus
a 5th.

I replaced the windsavers (fully valved) with Vern Smith's CWU (Compressed Waterproofed
Ultrasuede) windsavers. I also waxed the reed plate area where the valves touch it.
That has kept it (so far) from having any problems with sticky valves, whether played
cold or warmed up.

HTH,
Crazy (about Spiral Tuning, but obviously not the only one) Bob