Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic: Advantages of each position

John:

While you're much further along the musical ladder than I am and I don't
think in terms of positions, I too have several chromatics in various keys
and  play them all. However I'm an amateur and doing so mostly to fit my music
to an  already recorded CD or a guitarist or pianist at an impromptu
gathering,  etc.

I prefer the A since I love its tone and I seem to be able to do a lot more
 with it; next the Bb, although I still do use a C for its 4 octaves and
playing along with my keyboard.

WHEN I've smiled and used the words 'I cheated' after playing (almost  no
one EVER knows I've used an 'other keyed' chromatic until I tell them),  the
standard reaction is bemusement (no one heard anything different) to  those
who DO know what I do telling me that I shouldn't think of it as  cheating
since it's anything but, and that however one  does achieve playing music is
perfectly legitimate.

Now those are the kind of harmonica players I can truly appreciate, even
though they themselves play only key of C chromatics - because they
understand  that as people we are not and never will be 'one size fits all'. As long
as  you do make music that sounds good that should be all that matters in
the  overall scheme of things, n'est-ce-pas?

SO glad there are more of us talking about the use of these other keys. Are
 yours CX-12's or 270's? I remember you mentioned losing a lot of
instruments not  so long ago. Did you have to start building your 'kit' all over
again?

Elizabeth

"Message: 10