Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Toots preference for Eb & Bb

I'm SO happy reading this, Winslow! It follows what Smokey, and Phil
Caltabellotta (as my jazz chromatic mentors) have both been  telling me, as well
as Age (AJ Fedor of the Slidemeister website), which  reiterates my own
long-held belief that it simply doesn't matter to the  audience which keyed
instrument you play, as long as they like the sound  and enjoy the
performance...which point Smokey has just reiterated.

I was about to respond to Bob McGraw to mention that as much as I  admired
Toots, I simply don't find it as easy to play fluidly in Bb on a C
chromatic when a Bb instrument flows so naturally, so why would it not be  the
logical instrument to use for my needs? Of course someone of Toots'  skill and
stature is so much further advanced (into the stratosphere  compared to me)
but it's just amazing to now know that even he liked  and employed those
'other keys' at some point.

As Steve said, Toots being a jazz musician the sax was a huge  influence on
him as was his jazz guitar playing and I find I also lean towards  wanting
to play along with predominantly sax and guitar jazz music  (and their keys)
on Radio and CD's so it now all makes better sense why my ear  gravitates
to certain keys AND still comes back to: there wouldn't be  a reason for the
Harmonica manufacturers to make chromatics in those keys if  there wasn't a
steady market for them.

While I understand the thinking behind the 'one chromatic for  everything'
idea since it's been the norm and ingrained for so many years before  I ever
came back to chromatic playing, it simply isn't optimum for me and  doesn't
feel (or sound) right. Clearly I'm not the  only chromatic player who feels
this way since more and more  of us are buying and playing other keys, and
am just THRILLED now  to discover that my hero Toots isn't or wasn't always
a 'purist'.

As to Norman's point - I fully understand that side of it and certainly
don't mind at all not being thought of as good enough by specific  harmonica
players since I would never expect their  approval. I know how important it
is to them since they've worked so hard  to achieve their level of expertise.
It's more than enough for me  when musicians I know and like personally and
hold in  high esteem tell me that what I've just played sounded very nice
to their ears and that I'm playing better each time. For MY life, this is
what  works.

You've quite made my day :)

Elizabeth

Winslow for SPAH President/
LJ Atkison for VP...Don't forget to pay your SPAH dues so  you can vote!

"Message: 9