Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic: Advantages of each position /warning long

On Mar 14, 2012, at 5:02 AM, Gary Lehmann wrote:

> In this example, Joe cites the instrument first, and the "fingering" or position second.
>
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:23 PM, Rick Dempster <rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Lemme see if I unnerstans you Joe:
>  "Example: A tune is in G. I may use an F chromo and play it in G." - So, you are playing, to speak in C harp language, in the 'D' position ie keynote 1 draw?
>  "Or a G chromo in F. "-In C harp lingo, then, 'Bb'?? or 3 hole draw-button in??
> "Or a Bb in D. " - In the 'E' position that is 2nd hole blow??? Arrrgh!!
> "Or an F IN F."  - See, this is where I get confused, cos you said you never play a C harp in C, but here, it looks like you play in the key that the harp is tuned in....or have I got it all wrong???
> RD
>
> Joe is a master of this approach--I think; that's what I get from what he says anyway.
> I have stopped using keyed chromatics for the most part. But the concept is valid!

I HAVE to do it this way. Several reasons
1... I can't ear play in all 12 keys. Maybe 4 naturals and 2 minors.
2... I play mostly by rote. In other words I have READ it at some time.
3... I am used to Bb instruments and adjusting sharps & flats
4... Singers and bands change keys. I can't re-learn on the spot
5... Even with a chart, I am not a sight reader.