Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic: Advantages of each position /warning long

On Mar 14, 2012, at 2:23 AM, Rick Dempster wrote:

> Lemme see if I unnerstans you Joe:
>  "Example: A tune is in G.

I made a misprint here. I meant to write C.

> I may use an F chromo and play it in G."

An F chromo played in G will yield C. The sharp cancels out the flat.
A G chromo played in F will yield C. The flat cancels out the sharp.
A Bb chromo played in D will yield C. The 2 sharps cancel out the 2 flats.
So, this is how I would normally play a C song. I don't always use a C to PLAY C. Sometimes but not always. Depends on the song.
But you shouldn't use this method because I have been told that it's the wrong way to think. I was just answering Mr. Hales question.

> - So, you are playing, to speak in C harp language, in the 'D' position ie keynote 1 draw?
>  "Or a G chromo in F. "-In C harp lingo, then, 'Bb'?? or 3 hole draw-button in??
> "Or a Bb in D. " - In the 'E' position that is 2nd hole blow??? Arrrgh!!
> "Or an F IN F."  - See, this is where I get confused, cos you said you never play a C harp in C, but here, it looks like you play in the key that the harp is tuned in....or have I got it all wrong???

It's my fault, I confused you. If you play a Bb chromo (2 flats), and you are following music or playing by ear in C, you are automatically IN Bb (sound wise). Same as if you are playing trumpet/clar/ten, sax., but if you play in F (1 flat) you are adding a flat to the 2 flats you already have, and so your SOUND will come out in Eb (3 flats total). And This is why when I suggested a seminar on the topic to Gordon Mitchell (spah pres in the 70s, 80s, & 90s), he thought it was a bad idea.. too confusing for the short time a seminar IS, and called it 'double transposing'.

If I play 'The Way we were', it is in Eb and I use a C chromo. Sound will be in Eb.
If I play 'Haarlem Nocturne', it is in Gm and I use an F chromo in Dm.
If I play 'Ruby'. It is in D. I use a C to GET D sound..BUT if the band wants it in C, I play a Bb chromo IN D..and that still yields sound in C.

More confusion. I always played 'Boogie Ragae Woman' in Ab ON a C chromo & Ab diatonic. I don't just do the lead ins. I do the whole thing. Bridge and all. Did it at the Va. fest. A sax player wanted it in G.
I couldn't figure out a way to do it in G on a chromo and make it sound right, so I just did the diatonic parts. Such is the life of a side man.

I have been doing it for so long that I can go from one keyed chromo to another at will, sometimes in the same song. Maybe because I also play diatonic a bit.
Of course if I have a chart..and we rarely use them, all this is moot, as I just follow what's on the paper. But when playing by rote or ear, I can't do all the keys
And I can't re-learn tunes on the spot because some singer wants a key change. Soooo I change harps.

I sure hope no one's head is exploding.....   Jo-Zeppi