Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic: Advantages of each position

On Mar 13, 2012, at 3:23 PM, Robert Hale wrote:

> CHROMATIC PLAYERS
> What makes you choose one key over another to learn a new tune? (When it's
> your solo, and you can choose any key you want.) And for the sake of this
> question, the same C chrome harp.

These days, I choose based on what keys I haven't been playing in a lot lately. In fact I just wrote a tune in F# major because I don't get to play in that key enough.

> Have you started learning a song in one key, only to find that another key
> (on the same chrome harp) suits it much better? ...more notes in a row,
> with less mechanical concern? (breathing or slide)

Sure, and if the melody is challenging (as it often is) finding the best position for the tune can be extremely important. But when I have the luxury, I like challenging keys. Each position has its own interesting possibilities.

> And how about decorative figures, grace notes, that utilize the slide or
> note pattern in a way that wouldn't be easily duplicated in another
> place/key/position?

Just play different decorations. There are plenty in every key.

- Slim

www.SlideManSlim.com