Re: [Harp-L] Learn 6 positions first yea

As I've taught privately one on one with students, I've found that some can be moved into position playing pretty quickly while others take a bit more time to learn the basics.

I wouldn't put a solid yes or no to the question. For me, it depended on the student.

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Fiacco <tmf714@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Mar 12, 2012 6:00 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] Learn 6 positions first yea

I agree with Tony-As a first year player,with 10 years of guitar instruction and
playing under my belt,i was able to fully understand the 2nd position scale and
notation-at that point,I had no idea there even was a 1st or 3rd position,or,for
that matterwhat that referred to. In my opinion,it is much easier to teach in
2nd position-much more recorded material for harmonicais transcribed in 2nd
position than any other-it's a lot easier to teach  with the adundance of
material available -how would you teach a student to play "Juke" in third
position?   I am speaking from a purely "blues"perspective here-not jazz,funk or
fusion.