[Harp-L] MB 364 and 365 modifications

 (Thread renamed)- (was) Re: [Harp-L] solo vocal and 14 hole marine band in C
-------------
Thanks Larry:

I appreciate the feedback and tips.  More things to try out!  I look forward to trying new methods to make these harps more responsive.  The low C is really nice and growley, and the upper scale notes nice to have.  I assume the D 364 model is a low D and does not start the scale where a standard Marine Band in D would and goes up from there (Like the G does) ?

In comparing a  C 364 to a 365 yesterday, I found the immediate reaction to be that the 364 sounded a bit tighter and more responsive OoTB, but maybe that's the extra length of the 365.   The 365 cover plates feel better on my lips though.

I have not been convinced to buy custom combs, although I may try oneïsomeïday.
ïI do like my metal combs but do not believe audiences hear the difference.
ïActually I love to disassemble a 364/365 harp, flatten the pear wood comb,
round the teeth edges, re-mate to the reed plates, round the corners, reduce the
brass edge height where the lips touch, ïdisassemble and hone the brass edges
very smoothly, ïcarefully clean and polish the brass,ïwax and/or treat with
Liquid Glass,ïïtuneïthe reeds, ultrasonic clean, stain and thoroughly seal the
comb, reassemble with stainless bolts, ïclean & polish the covers, sometimes
open the cover backs, ïreassemble, admire, get a fresh cup go Joe and-------ï
Breathe Music!!!!!ï
Lockjaw Larry

This is a great road map and I'm sure it can't take you very long before you are rewarded with
a fresh cup of joe :)

Keep me posted on your adventures in taking a C down to a low A.

Regards-
Burke T.

Message: 11