 From: Joseph Leone <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: David Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 11:54 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harmonica Otherwise playlist on Spotify

During the time period of which ya'all speak, France was THE bench mark for quality items. Especially during the industrial revolution. They had expositions all the time. In those days the Brits were known for heavy huge endeavors. Like bridges, steam engines, heavy equipment. France was known for small intricate artisticaly done items, architecture, and any thing of artistic design. Because of the tendency for Americans to buy anything exotic, It became something of a klepto for anyone wanting to sell to Americans to attach the name 'French' to it.

The French even had a quality badge that they would afix to winners of expositions categories. It was the representation of the highest point in Europe. Namely Mont Blanc. The Mt. Blanc was considered the zenith or highest point of craftsmanship.  It was (basically) the snow capped summit and as such resembled a white star shaped stamp. This was not a Star of David (with 30 degree departure angles), but was an ENTRUNCATED star (37.5 degree angles). Over the years this has erroneously been thought of as a star of David.

smo-joe  (whom always wondered why the French didn't make harmonicas..I'm sure they would have been works of art.)