 From: Steve Baker <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2012 11:25 AM
Subject: Re. Archeological evidence (was Spotify)

Dave wrote:
Archeological harmonica evidence I've reviewed from Virginia would suggest in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries that most harps in the mid Atlantic South were supplied by Klingenthal makers and not Hohner

Steve responds:
I asked Harmonica Museum curator Martin Haeffner about this. He replied as follows (my translation):

"I would like to know more about the archeological evidence you mention. All US catalogues with which I'm familiar (mostly reprints) mention mainly Vienna or Trossingen manufacturers by name, and fewer from Kingenthal (though large quantities of "no name" instruments were also exported from there)."

It's generally accepted that Hohner's rise to dominance of the harmonica market was largely financed by the sales of Marine Band harmonicas in the years following the introduction of this model in 1896.

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.european-music-workshops.com
www.harmonica-masters.de