Re: [Harp-L] What Harp Is Popper Using?

To these sleepy eyes it appears John picked up a second harmonica from his case about 3:29,  just as the panning away begins.

Lockjaw Larry

________________________________
 From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Shirley Rowe <robertrowe2@xxxxxxx>; "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2012 10:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] What Harp Is Popper Using?

Kelly -

It looks like he's using his longtime favorite Hohner Special 20. Extensions to range could be created by effects such as octave shifters that take the note you play and reproduce it an octave higher or lower. Note the taped-together buldge at the lower end of his microphone and the Leslie-organ speaker effect. Popper is big on effects and signal splitting (hence the mic bulge), so extending the 3-octave range of the SP20 is quite likely if that's what he cares to do.

That said, when I listen, everything I hear him play is well within the range of the 10-hole Bb harmonica. The intro and outtro bit is played between Holes 4 and 7 (maybe Hole 8 as well). The first part of his solo stays within the Hole 1 to 6 range, then he goes up high and lays into Blow 9, then finally hits Blow 10 and bends it down, then comes back down.

Winslow

VOTE Winslow Yerxa for SPAH president, with L J Atkison for vice president
Winslow for SPAH President (Facebook)

Winslow4Prez (YouTube)
Chair, SPAH entertainment committee
Chair, SPAH awards committee
Member, SPAH convention planning committee
Staff, SPAH Convention event operation