RE: [Harp-L] Audix Fireball... And other harp mics.

While you still have to deal with the transformer issue, the Audix Fireball V has a volume control: http://www.audixusa.com/docs_12/units/FireBall_V.shtml.    Is that the mic you're talking about?  The volume control works as a fine on-off switch, just quickly dial the thing down to zero when you want to turn the mic off.  Works great.

These days I use an A-B box and I always have two different mics ready to go during the gig: a modified JT-30 with controlled reluctance element goes into the box via cord and the Audix Fireball V is set up as a wireless mic, using a Samson system I purchased from Greg Heumann.  I switch back and forth between the two mics depending upon the song.   For most gigs the A-B box goes into a HarpGear 35.  I like the Audix because it delivers such a natural tone and is generally feedback resistant.  I find feedback to be an issue with the wireless rig when using it with one of my JT-30's--maybe I need to play around with the settings some more, but I like how the Audix sounds through the wireless better than my customized JT-30's.  Going wireless with the Audix has been really nice--the transmitter unit fits well with the mic, making for a light, balanced wireless unit.  However, I wouldn't use the Audix on every tune because I can't get the classic crunch tone from it that I like for certain songs.

That's what I'm doing these days--works for me.

John