[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 106, Issue 40

Hello Mox,

I always enjoy reading your posts and hearing you music, thanks for
pointing out Ernest's music to the group!

I too am a HUGE fan of Ernest Stoneman "The Unsung Hero of Country Music".
I hope you don't mind if I contribute a couple a bit to his bio. His first
session was in 1924 after hearing a Henry Whitter recording, he was
confident that he could do better!  By 1927 he was one of the first stars
in early country music and inspired his neighbors the Carter Family to get
into show business. It was in July and August 1927, that Stoneman helped
Ralph Peer conduct the legendary Bristol Sessions that led to the discovery
of the Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers among many others. He continued to
be active in recording through 1929. Between 1925 and 1929 Stoneman
recorded more than 200 songs!

For those interested in old time harmonica as used in the context of a
string band this should be one of your first stops, he played mostly
straight harp in a rack while playing guitar or autoharp.  He was also a
excellent singer.  My friend and former bandmate Hank Sapoznik produced
along with Chis King an comprehensive box set that is a "must have" for
lovers of old time country music.

http://www.amazon.com/Unsung-Father-Country-Music-1925-1934/dp/B001CDL8KA

Here's a clip and interview with co-producer, Hank Sapoznik and
performances by the remarkable Bill Dillof, another old timer from NYC ;-)

Ernest Stoneman "The Unsung Father Of Country Music" Side
1<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt3h78D_dm4&feature=em-share_video_user>
First of two videos celebrating the release of the two CD set, Ernest V.
Stoneman "The Unsung Father Of Country Music: 1925-1934." This video
features performances at the Rex Theater in Galax, VA on September 5th,
2008 and an interview with co-producer, Henry "Hank Sapoznik."

Trip

--
Trip Henderson
www.myspace.com/triphenderso <http://www.myspace.com/triphenderson>n