Re: [Harp-L] Itchykoo Park goof

Robert Hale wrote:
<NOTHING perfectly simulates the Leslie. Close, but not for true believers!
<LOL

There are hardware and software devices now available that are practically indistinguishable from a "real" leslie, especially on a recording.  When I say "practically" indistinguishable, I mean that you would be unable to determine with ears alone whether you're listening to a "real" leslie.

Native Instruments's B4 software instrument contains both a hammond B3 and Leslie 122/145 emulation, and these are generally considered to be fully equal to the hardware versions (and in some ways superior in terms of functions and features).  If it can be done in software, it can be done on a chip and embedded in hardware.

I've owned a number of organs over the years, and two Leslies.  I prefer the Leslie emulation in my Digitech RPs to what I remember of my "real" leslies.  The Digitech gets a lot louder without relying on stage micing, it has a lot more flexibility in terms of amp voicings, and it produces the same psycho-acoustic impact as the real thing.  I think we could say the same about a number of other leslie emulators out there. The most expensive leslie emulators sell in the range of $300, I think; a real leslie sells for multiples of that.

I'd much rather have a pedal that does 95% of what a Leslie does at 5-10% of the cost and 1/75 of the weight than have a Leslie.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick