RE: [Harp-L] future in country for harmonica?

The Harmonica is alive and well in the country music genre. I regularly do
walk-on gigs with country bands that need an extra member for larger (better
paying) gigs.

Other options include folk, bluegrass, jazz, big band, oldies, and classic
rock acts.

I have worked with all of the above. In all honesty, I have a lot more fun
with a variety of musical styles than when I was a "blues-only" player.

The key to success is to recognize that you don't just step into a different
genre and play blues licks. Learn to play melodies in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
position. It freaks-out other musicians when I cover a fair portion of the
melody line before I embellish it during a solo. (they seem to like it)

It's a great idea to have lots of different musical styles represented on
your website so potential employers can listen to your ability to play
different styles first-hand. My Reverbnation player on the front page of my
website has music in many genres.

I even wrote and recorded a second position Polka called "The Diatonic
Polka" and posted it online  in order to get several gigs with an old-school
country band that played lots of polkas!

Best Regards,
Dennis M. Cooper
http://dennis-cooper.com