Re: [Harp-L] How the Turboslide actually works

That was a great post, Vern. I didn't mean to imply that the magnetic force affects density at all - what I meant was that the application of a strong magnetic field has the same effect as adding density, but instead of density, it's an application of force. It all makes sense in my head, but I know I can't communicate it clearly. Hopefully, there is an electrical engineer who also flyfishes.
I did a little flyfishing this morning and it all came to me.
When you cast a flyrod, you are throwing the weight of the line only and it takes a very precise application of force with very precise timing to do this. Like a harmonica reed, the flyrod itself is a spring and it is, in the most basic sense, shaped like a harmonica reed - it is very thin at the top and thicker as you get closer to the reel (where the casting force is applied).
If you just move a flyrod back and forth at a constant speed, you'll have a clump of coiled line at your feet. The force must be varied during the cast to make this happen.
To get sharper, the reed has to go faster. The following scenario I believe represents what happens when magnetic force is applied to the base of the reed, making the reed go sharper.
Imagine you're looking at somebody casting a flyrod from the side and imagine there is a huge clock behind the angler. The flyrod go back and forth from  2 o'clock to 10 o'clock. OK, so the flyrod is behind the angler at 10 o'clock.  As he brings the rod forward, he will start very slowly, but he will be constantly increasing this force with his arm. By the time he reaches 1 o'clock, his arm will be moving very quickly and will continue  to increase the speed until he reaches the end of the cast. At that point, two O'clock, he stops and the tip of the flyrod surges forward very quickly.
And that's how you throw 60 feet of flyline.
So what about when it goes back? It's the same thing in reverse. The anglers arm starts slowly then builds up speed. The speed climaxes at the very end of the backcast.

Cracking a whip might be another analogy, but I cast flyrods a lot more than I crack whips, so I don't know much about that. But I do know, from flyfishing, that when you have a spring swinging back and forth applying force at the very end of its travel will make the tip go faster. When the tip goes faster, that's an increase in frequency, which, when you can hear it, means an increase in pitch.

For the record, I'm not a 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock caster. I'm more 9:30 and 2:30.
(ducking)

David Payne
www.elkriverharmonicas.com

Elk River Harmonicas Forum now available via Iphone app, www.elkriverharmonicas.com/forum