[Harp-L] Re: Set List Maker / Manager - Mac

I have been doing the spreadsheet thing similar to Seth's response for
about the last 5 years.  My "testimonial" doesn't answer Denny's
question regarding a non-iDevice computer tool but I did just start
using the iPhone/iTouch/iPad App "Set List Maker" from Arlo Leach
(http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/main/home.html) and LOVE
it!  Arlo is a musician and web/app designer from Portland, OR.

With minor reformatting (a few minutes of effort) I was able to import
my spreadsheet into the app and have all of my songs, keys, notes,
lead vocalist, etc. in the app and ready to go.  The app then allows
you to link each tune in your catalog to a chart as well as a sound
file if you so desire.  This has been great at practice where you can
update your band notes real time on your iDevice or review a recording
with band mates.  The interface makes it very easy to select songs
from the catalog to create and organize a set list and then e-mail it
out as a rich text file or a html file to band mates.  A four hour 45
song gig took me about 5 minutes to select songs from our catalog,
sequence, and send out to the band via e-mail in a printer friendly
format which they can then review and print out.

You can share the catalog across devices such as your iPhone and
iPad.  You can even share it across multiple users over the internet
where your entire band can be syncronized to the same database/catalog
(we are not doing this today but I have sync'd it across an iPad and
iTouch).  Updates you make (such as those made to notes during
practices) will update on all devices sharing the same catalog/
database.

There is a performance mode if you want to use your iDevice during
performance.  I like the app so much that I bought a $20 mic stand
mount for an iPad ( http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=233-048
- I am very happy with the price performance of this mount) and have
ran the app live at our last 3 shows versus using a paper set list.
This is useful to me because like most of us I have a day job, family
commitments, etc.  As the lead vocalist for the band I have to know a
lot of lyrics and frankly don't have the time to memorize them all.  I
have set up large font "cheat" notes that pop up for tunes that I need
help with.  Before and during the performance of a tune I can glance
down and easily read the iPad in any lighting conditions to prompt me
as needed.

An additional feature which our band will likely never use but some of
the group here might be interested in is the app's backing track and
midi control functionality.  You can run your iDevice into your PA and
it will play assigned backing tracks from the performance mode set
list or it can send midi program changes or custom data to your midi
control interface (whatever that might be, I don't know anything about
midi) with each song change from the set list.

The app is free for the basic functionality.  I paid one time fees of
$1 to import my spreadsheet, $2 for device sync capability, and $2 for
e-mail capability.

I am extremely satisfied with this app.  My wife not so much as her
iPad disappears on gig nights now!

Glenn
The ColdRail Blues Band
www.ColdRail.com