Re: [Harp-L] EQ pedals and feedback

The AFB works as advertised and is worth more than a couple of dB.  For
example, on my HG50 (that I sold), it was the difference between 3 and 7 on
the volume which is huge.

So far, the next best thing that I've found is the use of High Pass and Low
Pass filters along with a noise gate.  The issue becomes the wealth of
outboard gear used to do it, but on my HD500, it is super simple.  I have
the noise gate first in the chain, then the filter, then the rest of my
gear.  On the Noise Gate, I set it extremely low so it only triggers during
some handling noise or when a breeze blows into the mic.  It still lets
through everything I'd ever intentionally lay on harmonica.  This keeps the
initial feedback from starting and cycling - like when you get the slow
build up to bass for high feedback, or feedback from the mic being to
sensitive when on, etc.  I don't want it to trigger when just using
dynamics and playing lightly.  I just want the errant feedback to be a
non-issue.

 I cut everything below 80-100hz and everything above 3-4khz (or is it 8?
I'd have to check to be certain) on the filter (which is one effect block
on the POD).  I can add bass and highs through tone controls as needed
after the mic....really it just cuts the bad boom and the real shrill harp
tones.  I can notch filter stuff too, but it is a lot more work.

For live use, which is always with a full band or a full set of tones being
looped, I don't notice tone suck.  In fact, it seems to help the eq
response of my monitor for the better (my K10 seems to have quite a bid of
high mids and be the first point of feedback).  In studio, I'd probably be
less inclined to use them and just play at lower volumes or record direct.

I think Lone Wolf is developing a pedal on the same basis - filter plus
noise gate.  If it works and doesn't suck tone, I'll want one ASAP so I can
free up blocks for other effects rather than eq options.