Re: [Harp-L] Sans amp

I've gone ampless for awhile now...I've tried a ton of stuff too...Lone
Wolf, Tech 21, Line 6, Digitech...

I usually run direct to a powered monitor (QSC K10).  A ton of guitar
players take this approach, FWIW.  Currently, as of my Saturday gig, I am
using a Line 6 HD500 into a Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI.  I use the
Bass Driver as a DI only, and ordered a small 6 channel Alesis mixer to
replace it.

So my rig is essentially pedal board to monitor.  I take an uneffected
lineout of the mixer to go front of house (FOH).  I then mix my own monitor
mix.  If I am sitting in with someone, I just plug the Bass Driver into the
K10 and take a lineout from the Bass Driver to FOH.  I, in fact, did it
later Saturday with no issues (I then use the Bass Driver as a tone shaping
unit).

The POD HD500 has its own mixer, etc, but I also usually sing and use
stompbox (solo shows), so I got the mixer to mix all three inputs down into
my monitor.

The pros of my main rig - the POD HD500 direct to my monitor:

1.  Small foot print compared to using an amp
2.  Plenty of volume
3.  Access to endless amped and clean tones
4.  More effects than I'd every even use
5.  I control my own monitor mix, yet can lineout easily to the PA
6.  Better stage volume
7.  Lots of help mixing to a room
8.  FOH tone can be shaped by sound man while my tone stays the same
9.  Analog master volume...the POD is digital, but has its own analog
"preamp" so it hits an analog output
10.  1x10" through 1000w rivals any harp amp, period.

Cons

1.  Hours and hours and hours of tweaking for harmonica
2.  Requires a lineout to PA for best sound, so using it for house mixing
from stage is not the intended use
3.  I don't have the visual of an amp on stage
4.  It is tricky to tweak on the fly.  There are, in fact, amp controls
that are actual knobs just like a real amp BUT to tweak the effects or
mixing section, you have to scroll through menus...way easy when doing via
USB on a computer, but not live!
5.  Hard to gauge my output before feedback at home

I picked up a RP255 and Richard Hunter's patch set.  They sound fantastic,
and it is a VERY small footprint.  Well worth the investment!  I could do
all my full band gigs with that RP255 no problem.  It sounds very clear and
huge for harp and the effects are excellent.  If I could get the POD HD500
layout with the RP255 sounds, that would be heaven.

The only things I don't like about the RP255 after a weekend of trying
it...hard to impossible to tweak on the fly (POD HD is easier IF you are
just tweaking amp controls)...and you have to cycle up and down between
patches.  The HD is easier to use as a pedalboard.  The RP255 won't work
for humming bass lines as the timbre is off, but the HD works perfectly.
The HD, btw, has way too many amp parameters to consider...all the way down
to cab resonance and tube bias!

I full intend on reworking my solo rig to be smaller, but am having
conflicting thoughts on the HD.  If I took the time, it is the best tool
for the job, but I can do the basics without it.  That's an aspect others
should probably ignore, lol.

For full band work, actually, the best rig for me would be a RP255 (or 355)
for the amped tones as well as the rotary and octave effects and a standard
delay, and then a Line 6 M9 in front of it.  That would give me an
additional 8 effects used like a traditional pedal board.

If I had a band to play with right now, I would fully endorse the RP255 or
HD500 for a harmonica rig.  The deal with the HD is I haven't gotten to all
of its potential and it has a lot of cool ways to kill feedback.  So for
me, leaving it on my solo board and using the RP255 with full bands is just
the easiest thing to do.  YMMV