Subject: Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Chi-Lites Question

Agree, Rob. The harp synching didn't bother me at all --it simply proved
that 'at least' it was a harmonica after all--and not a melodica. I just
thought  it was a bit funny that despite the quite authentic hand movements, the
player  simply didn't know one end from t'other.<G>

On the Paul Young video someone mentioned that it was 'the best version
EVER of this great oldie', and I put in my two cents about the lack of the
great  harmonica sound. ;)

To that end I did some more digging--and was on an actual ChiLites website
(run by Marshall Johnson). An old schoolmate of Eugene Record didn't know
he'd  passed on so in the comments area I wrote to tell him, and surprisingly
got an  email back from Marshall Johnson himself. I wrote back to tell him
what Roger had found out about Cy Touff...and my further digging -that he's
only  ever officially credited with playing harmonica on 'A Letter to
Myself' and not  on 'Oh Girl', but that because of our harmonica community's avid
interest the  question keeps coming up with much speculation as to just who
it was who played  on the song.  So --right from the horse's mouth
(Marshall Johnson)

"Thank you that was CY on that recording

All the best to you
Marshall"

...so now we ALL know. :) Ain't the internet grand?

Elizabeth
PS: Thanks, Roger -for beginning the thread again so you'd spark my
interest in really digging deep and finally resolving something we've discussed
here many times. This was cool and I got to interact with an original member
of  the ChiLites. Very cool.

PPS: Since Mr. Johnson was so cooperative and in rereading some of the
postings coming from Mr. Cubie and the history of the group, I've  decided to
take those with a grain of salt. There were so many changes in  personnel
with the ChiLites - main personalities leaving and returning several  times,
their Record Companies, producers, changing hands,etc. I doubt any of  them
got paid all that much by the time the 'bosses/owners' took their share (as
we all know how it works). I tend to trust my instincts about people and
despite  his slightly checkered background, Mr. Johnson seems pretty
straightforward to  me --and very caring about all of the ChiLites personnel and their
history/legacy.

Message: 5