Re: [Harp-L] Some observations on 12th position on the diatonic

Probably Harmonica John Frazer.
Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: tacopescado@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 18:34:28
To: Peter Madcat Ruth<madcat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Some observations on 12th position on the diatonic

I really enjoyed that though it seems that one can be just as
expressive on that song in cross harp. It lays out perfect in G on a C
harmonica. Why did you choose 12th position?

I believe that many years ago I wrote on harp-l, to your chagrin, that
some of the best harmonica playing I've ever heard was Mad Cat with
"Sky King" and "Brubeck and Sons." Studying those records along with
Norton Buffalo's first two LP's helped me fluidly scale the harmonica
from holes one through ten. I may not have groked that without the
help of those LP's. As most of you know the harmonica changes between
holes 6 & 7 and it becomes a different instrument on the high end.
Madcat and Norton illuminated me on that.

In 1976 I saw an awesome San Diego PBS show of Brubeck & Sons with
Madcat, and when Dave introduced the band he said, "they're jazz
musicians trying to make a living playing funk rock 'n' roll in a band
called Sky King." Correct me if I'm wrong Madcat, it's been awhile.
The next day I went to Tower Records and they had one copy of Sky King
in the back room and I bought it. Only copy I've ever seen. It's one
of the best records and some of the best harmonica I've ever heard.
Once, in 1975 when I was rookie harmonica player, a guy came down the
Mission Beach boardwalk in San Diego, heard me attempt to play and
asked to play my harmonica. He then proceeded to riff from hole one
through ten over a 12-bar groove. To this day, I still believe it was
Madcat though I have no proof.

I still believe that Little Walter was the best ever and wrote the
book like Hendrix did on guitar but Madcat and Norton amongst others
helped pave the way.

TP