Re: [Harp-L] Re: New Suzuki Diatonic Harmonica - OLIVE

In a message dated 1/25/2012 8:30:08 P.M. GMT Standard Time, Richard
Hunter writes:
<<

The  problem with Manji covers is that they're flimsy--I have bent some in
my  collection simply by squeezing the harp too hard. (Forget about carrying
one  in your pocket without a box around it.)  Bent covers can reduce the
playability of the instrument, so it's a non-trivial issue.  That's why I
replaced my Manji covers with Hammond covers, which solved the  problem.

Good point Richard, but this is a VERY complex question. I LIKE thin cover
plates... For a  good reason. With thin cover plates the harmonica vibrates
 more in the player's hand... Making it feel more ALIVE.
OK I am "Out on a limb" here!
Most harmonicists prefer substantial cover plates. But I do not.
Back in the 1990's Siegfried Naurun was building custom chromatic
harmonicas over in Germany, based on the then "new" Hohner CX-12. He called his
version the CB-12, and he replaced the plastic cover plates with some made out
of solid brass, and made many further modifications, to create a fantastic
and  extra-loud chromatic harmonica.
I was privileged to be given the opportunity to test the CB-12 back then,
and it is was... Or indeed...It  IS a great harmonica. But... I prefer the
thin plastic CX-12 cover plates.
My Diatonic harmonica of choice is the Hohner's MS series. I have many of
these with all sorts of comb materials. I have tried most every available
cover  plate with these harmonicas...
But I have now standardized on Hohner's "Blues Harp" cover plates... These
used to be nickel plated mild steel, but for the last ten years or so,
have been made of rust resistant stainless steel. I had quite a few of the old
 nickel plated plates replated in silver, which made them really slippery
against  the lips. But it was expensive.
OK thin cover plates bend and get out of shape.
When this happens  I  simply replace them...
YES they need to be kept in a case, or they dent very easily.
However, I REALLY LIKE the way they make the harp play!
Just my two Cents worth.
Best wishes,
John "Whiteboy" Walden
I'm back in my homeland of England.