Re: [Harp-L] Re: New Suzuki Diatonic Harmonica - OLIVE

Grant Walters wrote:
<Sorry , I missed something here ...maybe:
<is the changing the covers discussed here to avoid the painful Manji plates?
<I've never tried a Manji so I am curious...( and don't care for the plates on the Hohner MS....against my mouth).
<This makes the Olive sound interesting since so many have liked the Manji harps ( if the plates are the same)

Manjis aren't painful to play, at least not in my experience.  The problem with Manji covers is that they're flimsy--I have bent some in my collection simply by squeezing the harp too hard. (Forget about carrying one in your pocket without a box around it.)  Bent covers can reduce the playability of the instrument, so it's a non-trivial issue.  That's why I replaced my Manji covers with Hammond covers, which solved the problem.

Kudos to Suzuki for recognizing the problem and fixing it at the factory.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick