Re: [Harp-L] Re:david naiditch and his band of gypsies - tangential Grappelli story

On Jan 23, 2012, at 11:23 AM, Winslow Yerxa wrote:

> Actually, Grappelli used to *teach* chromatic harmonica even though he didn't play it.

I find that fascinating. As a youngster I never listened to harmonica players. But I DID follow the Grappelli school of thought on improvisation. Which I think was to basically stay within the orbit of the chord planetary system that you are in. I just love these guys whom fall out of the shuttle, can't find their way back, and get lost in space.

> This was when he was scuffling early on and needed to dough, and he had a very rich student (from the family that owned the Citroen car company, if memory serves). He admitted that this was a bit naughty and only mentioned in the context of another story about how he was always trying to hook Django and their group up with powerful, rich folks, something of which Django was blissfully oblivious. (Today is Django's 102nd birthday.)

Which 'could' be why Stefane went to England while Django waited out the war in Belgium?
 smo-joe