Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Advice on learning to play chromatic

On Jan 20, 2012, at 1:26 PM, Grant Walters wrote:

> As a person who has played chromatic...( just a bit) for many years...
> and I am still not real good as I almost always play Diatonic...
> There are limits to just learning on your own....( although I do read music and it helps)

I agree totally. There ARE limits.

> It is my observation that those who learn the chromatic along side
> learning another  primarily chromatic instrument...seem to really learn much faster and better.

In my case, that was the case. I progressed agonizingly slow until I started on clarinet.

> The only guys I know who read music with the Chromatic...fluently,
> learned to read while learning another instrument first and then moved that knowledge over the the harp.

Again, I agree.

> Sax and Piano guys...seem to really catch on quickly....

Piano would probably be better as you can visualize the upper plate as the white keys and the lower as the black keys. In that way, it's easier to remember where the addresses are for each note. Some notes live in apartments on the top floor while some live in apts on the lower floor. The blow notes would then be across the hall while the draw notes would be on the side closest to you.

> I mention this not to sound like a know it all...or to disagree with
> either comment here...but rather....to see if most other accomplished Chromatic players
> often start with or learn along side another instrument...( not nec. diatonic harmonica).

Right, and we have to careful how we word things because some people take things the wrong way and somehow feel we are being preachy.

> As I do not consider myself accomplished on the Chrom...I defer to those who are...

And so will I. :)

> what do you think?....(or is it  a function of the fact that  in yesteryears...Flute lessons were easier to come by )

Flute is fading right now. Several people I know play one as a side event, but rarely break them out. In the bar scene, they have very little carry. That's why I rarely play mine. The other week, the fabulous sax manCraig Christman (everyone can look him up), pulled one out a flute and wanted to know if I knew the head to No More Blues in Gm. I played chromo with him on flu flu.

smo-joe