Re: [Harp-L] Terms: diatonic

The definition I got from my theory instructor is that diatonic refers to
scales that use all the letter names from "A" to "G" once and only once. So
all the medieval modes are diatonic as are other minor scales (harmonic,
melodic and jazz) while the pentatonic, chromatic, diminished, whole-tone,
and blues scales are non-diatonic because they either don't use all the
letters or they use some letters more than once.

--
Arthur Jennings
http://www.timeistight.com