[Harp-L] self promotion (one way)

I'm always looking for ways to "get connected" to music opportunities. I've
had some recent successes and thought it could add to the pool of knowledge
here on the list.

JAMS
Mid-last year I drove 30 miles from home in Gilbert AZ into Phoenix, for an
open jam at a bowling alley lounge. Jam leader and I hit it off well, and
he later called me for two gigs with his band. At one of those, I handed
out my personal card to a man who called me recently for 3 songs in the
studio (at a very respectable rate).

One night I stopped into a coffee house open mic. The jam leader also sang
in a local southern gospel trio. He recommended me, and I have worked two
winter seasons with them. (Timeless Melodies) As a bonus, several of my
students come from enthusiastic members of those audiences.

TIP: When I hand out cards for lesson inquiries, I seldom hear from them.
Now I get THEIR contact info, and follow up, rather than wait. (I'm using
the voice recorder on my phone, so it's very easy.

OTHER TOOLS
I keep a website, and YouTube Channel that seem to build credibility.
I recently learned to use FaceBook to stay in touch with my music friends.
(Friend me at DUKEofWAIL)

TIP: I decided to keep the FB identity as music,with a little personal fun,
and no politics. Although I have jammed with one FB musician who has
like-minded political views.

Some acquaintances resulted in another jam invitation, but not a working
offer for the time being. Overall, more people know my sound,
my availability, and my working attitude.