[Harp-L] re: Demonstration clips on half valving and my bending technique

Message: 12
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 19:01:21 -0500
From: Elizabeth Hess <TrackHarpL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Demonstration clips on half valving and my
    bending    technique
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Elizabeth,

While it is possible to play in any key on a Gazell method Half valved (or
any half valved) diatonic, it becomes more of a challenge and somewhat of a
parlor trick when one tries to play in Db on a C harmonica for instance. It
is doable, but very difficult and not very entertaining. So in answer to
your question, I make that decision based on how I can best play the song
and entertain the audience. I play mostly in 2nd position but also use 1st
position. My primary position for minor keys is 5th. I also use 12th for
certain melodies. 4th position on the top octave works well on a lot of
songs as well. But again, my first concern is how can I play the song
convincingly and entertain the audience, because they don¹t understand
positions and could care less.

I hope this answers you question,

PT Gazell

Those were wonderful, PT.  Thank you for sharing them.

I find myself wondering, since you clearly  *can*  play one harp in any and
every key, do you?  Or do you choose different Gazell harps for different
keys and/or songs, and if so, what informs those decisions?

Elizabeth

--
pt@xxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.ptgazell.com