Re: [Harp-L] U blocking

I am not certain how to label what I do. I tongue block, but except at the extremes of the instrument, I do not block to the side as in classical tongue blocking. The air comes down the center of my tongue. But I do not form a U with my tongue to do this. Quite the contrary, the parts of my tongue lying on either side of the center line are relaxed so as to block holes, allowing only the middle note at the center of my tongue to play.

I find this technique facilitates going to splits, since I don't have to move my tongue to do it. I also find that this approach allows me to to rapid tonguing while maintaining my embouchure. Many people switch to pucker embouchure in order to do rapid tonguing.

-LM