Re: [Harp-L] modes

Every scale has modes, so yes, you can get modes out of a harmonic minor harmonica.

All the modes of a scale have the same notes in them, you just choose a different note as your tonal center.

Mode 1 starts on Blow 1 (or 4 or 7). (Ionian aka the major scale on a standard major harmonica)

Mode 2 starts on Draw 2 (or 4 or 8) (Dorian on a standard major harmonica)

Mode 3 starts on Blow 2 (or 5 or 8) (Phrygian on a standard major harmonica)

Mode 4 starts on Draw 5 (or 9, or Draw 2 bent down 2 semitones) (Lydian on a standard major harmonica)

Mode 5 starts on Draw 2 (or Blow 3, 6, or 9) (Mixolydian on a standard major harmonica)

Mode 6 starts on Draw 6 or 10, or on Draw 3 bent down 2 semitones) (Aeolian aka natural minor on a standard major harmonica)

Mode 7 starts on Draw 3 or 7 (Locrian on a standard major harmonica)

Modes on any other scale don't have universally recognized names for the most part, so people simply refer to them as "first mode of the harmonic minor scale", etc.

Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com