[Harp-L] Re: solo harmonica competition

My initial thought on the whole subject was that bringing your own accompaniment can be an unfair advantage when being judged on your harp playing ability.  If one guy brings significantly better backup than another, his sound will be inevitably better, perhaps even if he is the less skilled of the two harp players.  I simply wondered at the possibility of leveling the playing field.

One of the comments in this thread, however, made me realize that a harmonica's tone almost always sounds better with other instruments and, even more so, a harmonica player has a much higher chance of sounding bad alone.  To hold a competition forcing players to go it alone would certainly bring about more than a couple minutes of unpleasantness.  And you have a point, Mike, that playing with live music does test a particular set of skills in your interaction with other musicians.