Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Subject: The inimitable Toots Thielemans

Geez, Smokey ... thanks! - although entirely unnecessary,lol.

I did wonder a bit in passing where 'egli and esse' came from (thought
maybe 'olde' Italian or even German or Latin)? but since you know so many more
languages than I do it was just a passing thought. No worries though, and
it  certainly didn't remotely rise to the level of necessitating such an
apology  from you.

...then again - I thought perhaps you might be making words up in  another
language as you are sometimes wont to do in English <G> since it  wasn't the
rudimentary French I know:

il (masc.) he, it; elle (feminine) she, it; les (plural/genderless) they,
them - en francais.  :)

Yeah, I agree that the writer of the song could be taking poetic license
with the use of 'elle' in the song (my reason for inserting a question mark).

As to the 'weaving in and around the singer' - I love the way Toots does it
 here. It's just so good! As an old pro he knows exactly when not to
intrude/overstep.

I'm one of those people who very much enjoys 'ensemble' playing - or at
least dueting with another person (you know that much anyway since we  played
some songs together to good effect at a couple of conventions).  It not only
gives me a higher level of comfort onstage and off, but the sound is  so
much richer overall to my ears, and helps the lead player get a breather and
boost here and there when a great player like you comes in with skilled
'filler'. It's probably my favourite way to play chromatic harmonica, in fact.
:)

Elizabeth

"Message: 11