[Harp-L] obit on Howard Morgen

Here is the obituary on fingerstyle guitarist Howard Morgen. You can watch his course ONLINE as I have been doing -- (( you can also order an instant download or a Data-DVD to hold in your hands and play on your Mac or PC)).

Howard Henry Morgen
August 17, 1932 - February 15, 2012
Chapel Hill
Beloved husband of Estelle, Father to Donna and Gary (Susan), Grandfather to Adam, Mathew, Jackie, Jessica, and Daniel, and teacher to thousands. Revered innovator and educator of Fingerstyle Jazz Guitar. Author of enormously popular instructional books, videos, and online learning tools. A wonderful friend.
Succumbed to a five year battle with Leukemia.
A memorial service will be held at the Carolina Inn at 3:00, Sunday February 19. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation in Howard's name to: UNC-Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, PO Box 7295, Chapel Hill NC 27599-7295.
He will be greatly missed.
--Published in The News & Observer from February 18 to February 19, 2012

Howard was a New York fingerstyle jazz teacher and author whose books are still in print. He is perhaps best known today for his stellar video course on TrueFire called "Fretboard Breakthrough" that explains in a thorough, friendly and uncomplicated manner how to navigate the guitar fretboard and build chords.

This is not a music reading course but PDF printed material available with the course has guitar Power Tab (playable thru TablEdit) as well as standard notation. The videos are up close and personal and clearly explained as he works out on his Eastman archtop. This is not afingerstyle course, a solo guitar course or method course.

He also has several youtube videos on line as well as snippets from his "Fretboard" video. Heck, use videos as backup tracks or to learn the songs.

While Howard was a jazz guy, FB offers insights for guitarists playing all styles of music. Howard also studied classical guitar to learn fingering technique that he could transfer to his pop and jazz songs.

As I mentioned earlier, this is a great place to start for harmonica players whether they want to learn a little bit about the guitar or more stuff about chords that they can apply to the harmonica.

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding. I recommend watching the video ONLINE -- that way you don't have a bunch of DVDs cluttering up your house (I already have too many) and with a TrueFire monthly or yearly membership, you can watch a course as many times as you want. The only downside is that you DON'T have a package to reference the spelling of the guy's name.