Re: [Harp-L] solo harmonica competition

Michael asked:
Is it reasonable to hold a competition for solo harmonica in which all forms of accompaniment are disallowed? In other words, you have to actually play your harmonica solo?

I have judged the Ohio State Championship, and modeled our own WV State Championship after it. In both, the harmonica player is allowed to have one acoustic accompanist. About half of the contestants will have someone back them. It is generally agreed that the players with backing score better.

So you can say:

1) do not allow accompanist so there is no advantage.
or

2) allow accompanist because it makes it more enjoyable to listen.

Jim Rubaugh