Re: [Harp-L] Out of tune with the guitarist...

Back in the 1960's I did a recording session playing my  harmonica, with a
C&W band . One track was a cover of "Leaving on a Jet  Plane". That song had
only just been written back then. This was WAY  before electronic tuners"
and the band had all tuned to their pedal steel  guitar... That was VERY
flat.... Of course my harp sounded DREADFUL...  There was nothing I could do...
It was my idea of "hell".. The really sad thing  was that the band was
excellent. I said to the pedal steel guitarist  "please re-tune to concert pitch"
he replied "I'm in tune with myself so it's  YOUR problem".
I was still a teenager at the time. It WAS my idea of hell!
I simply put it down to experience. But more than 40 years later,  I
remember THAT recording session with a shudder... And no, I never got my  fee!
I guess what I am saying is that sometimes... There is nothing you can  do.
But keep playing that mouth organ!
"Tomorrow is also a day".
John "Whiteboy" Walden
Just now in Scotland...
_http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_12109468_
(http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_12109468)

In a message dated 2/17/2012 12:34:01 A.M. GMT Standard Time,
kenneth.d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>20+ cents out of tune with me...

I was once flown to  Phoenix to add some harp to a track by the Goose Creek
Symphony.  The  piano in the otherwise excellent studio was in tune but
sharp, and the  band had naturally turned to it when they cut the original
track.

The harp sounded horrible.

Luckily, this was 1986,  and they were using an analog tape machine, and
they had a variable  frequency oscillator.  I suggested that they hook it
up
and slow the  tape to where the band was in tune with me, after which they
could do what  they wanted with it all.

Sounded pretty easy, but we never ever nailed  a fully in-tune track. Maybe
now they'd just use autotune, but that really  sounds like a lousy idea.

I recently got to hear the track after all  these years, a version of My
Old
Kentucky Home, which was sung and played  beautifully.  I've asked other
people if they hear anything funny  about the harp, and they claim to
not.  I hear it, so I presume they  are being nice to me, which is luckily
the normal state of  things.