Subject: [Harp-L] Tuning and gapping. Gapping and tuning.

I've watched many harmonica customizers work and the one thing they  had in
common was absolute Zen-like patience during the 'plinking' process. No
such thing as a finite number of plinks. So when you say you plink 4 or 5
times,  do you mean each time you return TO the reed after each pass of the file?

As with all skilled work of this type - I think the more you do it - the
more time you put in, the better you'll eventually get. No short-cuts,
unfortunately.

The last time I watched closely while some customs were being gapped and
tuned to MY embouchure the pro must have plinked and retuned 10 or  more
times on each after each tiny adjustment. There was a rhythm to  the whole
process. When one harp seemed recalcitrant despite his best  efforts he calmly
put it aside and worked on another instead. It  took nearly 9 months to get 4
custom harps made for me - and then more  hours to 'fine-tune' (on his time)
since the gapping had to be fit  exactly to me.

This is why the great customizers have to charge as much as they  do for
their expertise and why no customizer ever gets rich doing their  work...the
amount of time put in doesn't come close to being actually  compensated for.
They do it for the love of the instrument more often  than not.

Listen to Winslow.

Elizabeth

Winslow Yerxa for SPAH President!

"Message: 2