RE: [Harp-L] Rack

I use a rack made for 10 hole harmonicas marketed by Seydel, I think it may be the same as the K&M. It has knurled plastic knobs that seem to work better than wing nuts. They stay tighter (and don't get tangled in my hair.) Playing rack harmonica takes some getting used to. Besides having to split your brain in two; it just sounds and responds differently than a hand held harp. I've gotten used to it and, as long as I'm comfortable with the song on guitar, I can go from singing to playing pretty easily without much thought.

One thing you have to remember is that playing rack harmonica is almost like playing another instrument. I would liken the difference between a cupped harp and a racked harp to the difference between electric guitar and acoustic guitar. I mostly play racked harmonica and acoustic guitar, when I do play handheld harp I have to remind myself to use my hands, likewise on the rare occasion that I pick up and electric guitar I tend to play it like an acoustic, not taking advantage of the sustain and electric technique.

I don't know about overblowing, but I don't find I need to "dig into" the rack when playing a bent note anymore than playing any other note. I would say just stick with it and, to a large extent, the awkwardness will pass as you adjust your technique. The harmonicas you choose may also make a difference. I like Special 20s, Delta Frosts, and Harpmasters better than Marine Bands, Bluesmasters, or Promasters for rack playing. They are a little bigger, stay in the rack better, and give you a little more harp to get into your mouth. But whatever harmonica or rack you use it will eventually (after few hundred hours) become second nature.