Re: [Harp-L] Crystal Microphone Element

I speak from personal experience. I wasted money on cheap alternatives with amps and mics. But I wasn't satisfied, until I saved up and turned to techs in the know, like Greg. My advice is to bite the bullet and invest in quality. It's well worth it.

Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Heumann" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harp- L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>; "todd allen" <soundguyaudition@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 9:06 PM
Subject: re: [Harp-L] Crystal Microphone Element

Yes, I have tried them. I'll try to be delicate here. They SUCK. That is a modern el-cheapo $2 element and it has nothing to offer the harp player. There is simply nothing made these days that will reproduce the tone of an old crystal, or for that matter an old CR or CM either. That isn't to say there aren't some modern mics that are good for harp - the Shure SM57 is a very versatile and decent harp mic. But the currently produced crystal elements are just plain awful.

/Greg

http://blowsmeaway.com
http://facebook.com/blowsmeawayproductions
http://bluestateband.net

From: todd allen <soundguyaudition@xxxxxxxxx> Date: February 10, 2012 3:41:44 PM PST To: harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [Harp-L] Crystal Microphone Element Reply-To: todd allen <soundguyaudition@xxxxxxxxx>

has any here tried a replacement Crystal Microphone Element or any newer Crystal Element with any luck?
I am always looking on eBay but there either untested (another word for it don't work) or there price is beyond absurd.
here's one listing I was going to try for 15 buck it wouldn't be a huge loss.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Astatic-Crystal-Microphone-Element-D-104-Qty-1-/320771285619?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaf756273

Specifications
Size  L  50 mm   W 50 mm  D 16.5 mm
Impedance 9 k ohms