Subject: [Harp-L] During practice - Play along with that tune .. Keys?

What I do (since I play primarily chromatics)is pick up the nearest
chromatic which I 'think' might be in the right key - and attempt to play along.
As an ear player I'm getting much better at narrowing down which instrument
I need (I play different keyed chromatics much as diatonic players play
multi-keyed diatonics).

For this particular song I picked up my Bb and realized almost  immediately
the entire song 'fit' with the button held in. Worked perfectly for  me.
YMMV. I think if you play by ear it does simply come with practice.

I almost always began with a C instrument first, but as my ear has improved
 I'm able to zero in faster but have absolutely no idea how it works or how
to  explain it, anymore than I can explain how one can play any instrument
by  ear.

Those who play by reading music approach this (I imagine) from an entirely
different angle, but I have absolutely no idea how they'd figure out the
tune  from an audio or video source without first having to obtain the sheet
music.

Elizabeth

Please vote for Winslow Yerxa for President of SPAH:
Who is Winslow Yerxa?

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7aerMhaRqU&feature=results_main&playnext=1&;
list=PL5EB9D8DE499A46C1_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7aerMhaRqU&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL5EB9D8DE499A46C1)