Re: [Harp-L] During practice - Play along with that tune .. Keys?

On Feb 9, 2012, at 12:08 PM, Mw Fitz wrote:

> This has probably been asked and answered a good many times before? Anyway, since I'm new here I
> thought I would ask. Say I hear some tune being played and I want to play along. How do
> I find out what key they are playing in? Thank You! Just a song for an example.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qerg0LyLi6c&feature=fvst

It's in F#/Gb. I don't know enough about theory to tell the difference. As a practical matter, use your F# to play Straight Harp or 1st position; or, your B to play Cross Harp or 2nd position.

Figuring out the key comes from ear training. There a many approaches to accomplish this. At your stage of the game, trial and error will get you started. perhaps some of our more learned listers can give better suggestions.

In the meanwhile, listen to bass which will outline the chords and either blow on the first hole to find the root note or draw on the second, depending on whether you want to play 1st or 2nd position. One of them will sound right.

At the end of the day, I suggest you commit some of your practice time to ear training.  Doing scales and arpeggios as much as possible is a good idea. Try to learn the names of the notes.

Cheers,

Bob

---------
Vote for Bob Cohen and Warren Bachman for SPAH President/Vice President
Not a member? Join SPAH now: http://www.spah.org/index.php/join-renew