Re: [Harp-L] re: a bluegrass experience

Tony Eyers provided some of the best advice for easing into the bluegrass scene.

There is one thing that I take exception to in his advice:

"A few players use retuned
instruments. I don't recommend this
in the first instance, although I
have ventured far down this path..."

I made considerable progress by switching to Circular Tuned harmonicas. I could play the
melodies without any missing notes in the diatonic scales (major AND minor), and I could
play complete chords based on any scale degree of the diatonic scale. This allowed me to
chug chords (like a mandolin chop) to play rhythm when I am not taking a break.

If you are NOT committed to the standard tuning, do yourself a favor and get a Circular
Tuned harmonica (or a complete set) to play bluegrass.

DISCLAIMER: Tony Eyers is both a world-class harmonica player and a world-class educator
on harmonica. I am a NOBODY, so consider THAT by comparison of advice.

Blow some grass!
Crazy Bob