Subject: [Harp-L] Madcat in beautiful downtown Florida

Great review of Madcat in Concert, Smokey. I haven't been to an actual show
 of his but have seen/heard him play many times during SPAH, Buckeye and
Jason's  harp blow-offs. In fact the last time I watched him headline one of
those I  remember him sounding just like Sonny Terry. I think he might not
exactly agree  with your take on that one aspect of it....his 'whooping' is SO
reminiscent  of Sonny Terry it's clearly a homage to the man.

Peter Ruth has been one of my favourite people ever since my first
harmonica convention when he simply chose to entertain those at his Filisko
teach-in table. That's what we wanted anyway. SUCH fun. He's as MAD and talented
up close as he is up there on the stage and so very personable. His duets
with  Shari Kane are particular favourites of mine. Multi-talented and one of
the  nicest people in our world.

Sounds as though you had a great time. Only curious why you'd not think to
show your 'former Statie' badge if you'd gotten pulled over? hahaha

Elizabeth

"Message: 11
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 13:29:24 -0500
From: Joseph Leone  <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

[snipped]
"But the  coup di gras was Madcat..the cat in the hat..powerful Pierre, the
axe man from  the far north. Instead of Brubeck hogging the show, he had
Madcat doing lead on  most of the tunes, ALL the vocals but one, and the three
of them did such tight  harmony, it was just plain pure amazing. In fact,
everything was tight. The  stopping the tunes dead, the re-starting.
Impeccable timing. Pete did a number  'Polly' where he played chromatic. Chromo?
I've known him for decades and didn't  even KNOW he played chromo. Super too.
Man, that's so unfair. Chromo  too?

Now I know that artists don't like to be compared to other artists,  and I
don't mean this in a bad way, but I was reminded of Sonny Terry. Pete has
everything that Sonny had..and MORE. I would say that Pete ENCOMPASSES Sonny
Terry AND several other players all put together. Ya'know, considering that
last  thread about: "There could have been a so and so without so and so"
really  struck me. In this case, there would have been a Sonny Terry withOUT
Sonny  Terry. And while I have heard Madcat many many times, he was never in
a position  to get the time, backup, sound system, that he had Saturday
night. I have to  admit that even I was stunned. And it did my heart good to
hear the many  accolades from the crowd as they filed out into the theater
lobby. Many to have  their new CDs autographed.

I drove the 2 hours home as high as a kite.  I'm glad I wasn't pulled over.
"What're you ON son?".... Uh, I'm high on Madcat  ossifer. "Madcat?, what's
that some new kind of drug?" . Yup. Take me  away.

smokey  Joe"